Tablet
Ed Heron
2010-04-15 15:16:08 UTC
Speaking of NMLUG...

Has anybody tried to put android on an existing tablet?

Any other experiences with Tablets?

I've got a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 that I got used a couple of years ago.
It came with Win2K. I've left it alone because I didn't have any easy way
of booting from installation media. The diskette drive is external and not
available. It doesn't boot off USB devices. It would PXE boot, but the
built-in ethernet is only available with the docking bay, which is not
available to me.

With the recent talk about Android on everything, I went to the android
site and saw that it was free, but only in source code. I don't have the
time to set up a dev environment, though. Has anybody seen a precompiled
set for existing tablets? Has anybody set up a dev environment for Android?

I'm thinking of trying to put Ubuntu on it. It came with a 6G hd, but
I've got a 30G drive from a dead laptop. If I hang the hd on another
computer with a PATA to USB converter (I already have), I could put a
bootable partition on it with grub or syslinux, then copy the install files.
During installation, I would skip partitioning and formatting. (sounds like
something I should document, eh?)

I saw someone ask about tablets on CentOS.org forums and they were told
there was lots of activity about tablets around Ubuntu. Sounded like a
suggestion...

--------------------
Ed Heron
Pete Zaitcev
2010-04-15 16:39:12 UTC
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:16:08 -0600
With the recent talk about Android on everything, [...]
For practical purposes, Android assumes a phone environment.
I do not see it viable on anything that resembles a computer,
even with a touchscreen, unless Google puts more effort into it.
They can certainly do it, just did not thus far.
I'm thinking of trying to put Ubuntu on it.
Fedora or Ubuntu, or any other decent distro would be more
useful to you, I suspect.
It came with a 6G hd, but
I've got a 30G drive from a dead laptop. If I hang the hd on another
computer with a PATA to USB converter (I already have), I could put a
bootable partition on it with grub or syslinux, then copy the install files.
During installation, I would skip partitioning and formatting. (sounds like
something I should document, eh?)
Another easy option would be to install elsewhere, then move
the disk with installed OS.

-- Pete
Aaron Birenboim
2010-04-16 13:09:51 UTC
Post by Pete Zaitcev
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:16:08 -0600
With the recent talk about Android on everything, [...]
For practical purposes, Android assumes a phone environment.
I do not see it viable on anything that resembles a computer,
even with a touchscreen, unless Google puts more effort into it.
They can certainly do it, just did not thus far.
I would disagree.
LINUX core. I think you can put some native apps on there (non-java).
I have ssh, terminal...

Also look at the Andros pocket DVR.... and new stuff getting
compiled for the upcoming WePad.
Post by Pete Zaitcev
Another easy option would be to install elsewhere, then move
the disk with installed OS.
Might it be possible to do a BIOS upgrade to allow boot from USB?
Then you could use an external CD-ROM drive, or bootable thumb drive.

aaron
Mike Blessing
2010-04-16 16:32:22 UTC
Post by Pete Zaitcev
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:16:08 -0600
With the recent talk about Android on everything, [...]
For practical purposes, Android assumes a phone environment.
I do not see it viable on anything that resembles a computer,
even with a touchscreen, unless Google puts more effort into it.
They can certainly do it, just did not thus far.
It appears that the Adam tablet will use some version of Android --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_tablet

The JooJoo uses a version of Linux, but Engadget says it's not worth
buying til Fusion Garage works out the bugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joo_Joo

Personally, I prefer to "kick the tires" at BestBuy or wherever before
I put any cash down for one -- run a video clip on the screen, look at
the file system browser, etc -- like test-driving a new car I'm
thinking of buying. Thus, the JooJoo isn't completely out of the
running yet.

Hewlett-Packard is planning to release the HP Slate, which will run
Windows 7 ( boo! hiss! :) ), which will probably be slightly less
proprietary than the iPad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Slate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad
-- Mike Blessing / http://mikewb1971.xanga.com
Phone -- 505-515-7015 / Yahoo IM -- mikewb1971
PGP Public Key -- http://tinyurl.com/yjt2u4g

Who owns you? Who runs your life? Who wipes your ass?
Who should -- you or someone else?

KCUF Media, UnIncorporated -- http://kcufmedia.xanga.com
Commentary and Opinion for the Undamaged Mind
Aaron Birenboim
2010-04-28 13:40:47 UTC
Is NMLUG still kind of a ABQ centered LUG?

If so... how would you feel towards absorbing NMOSUG?

I would think that we might forward NMOSUG mail to NMLUG lists,
and point/redirect WWW hits to NMOSUG for the next year,
until NMOSUG.org expires.

aaron
Andres Paglayan
2010-04-28 14:22:08 UTC
...a little dark force empire-like?
Kevin Rosenberg
2010-04-28 22:09:54 UTC
Post by Aaron Birenboim
Is NMLUG still kind of a ABQ centered LUG?
To some degree -- meetings have been held at SWCP and
I host the site on my servers at SWCP. But, we haven't
had any meetings for several years.
Post by Aaron Birenboim
If so... how would you feel towards absorbing NMOSUG?
That sounds interesting. I don't know much about NMOSUG.
I took a look at http://www.nmosug.org to learn more, but
that just redirects to the mailman list.

Is there a web page to learn more about NMOSUG?

Kevin
Aaron Birenboim
2010-04-29 13:12:37 UTC
Post by Aaron Birenboim
If so... how would you feel towards absorbing NMOSUG?
That sounds interesting. I don't know much about NMOSUG.
I took a look at http://www.nmosug.org to learn more, but
that just redirects to the mailman list.
Is there a web page to learn more about NMOSUG?
It started as a CNM (then TVI) centered user group.
It was an official TVI student group for a while.

It fizzeled.

I'd like to join the lists, if nobody objects, and put
reference to NMLUG on their WWW pages.
Who knows... perhaps another meeting at SWCP soon?

aaron
Aaron Birenboim
2010-04-16 13:06:25 UTC
Post by Ed Heron
Speaking of NMLUG...
Has anybody tried to put android on an existing tablet?
Any other experiences with Tablets?
no tablet experience.
I would think that Android or ChromeOS would be your frontrunners to
play with.

Would you need a virtual keyboard?
That might make Android look better than ChromeOS.
But Chrome might have a plug-in.

I think it would be a significant project either way.

I keep threatening to play with developing some apps for Android.
They deliver a little Java development environment for Eclipse.

aaron
Andres Paglayan
2010-04-16 15:26:54 UTC
Post by Aaron Birenboim
Post by Ed Heron
Speaking of NMLUG...
Has anybody tried to put android on an existing tablet?
Any other experiences with Tablets?
no tablet experience.
I would think that Android or ChromeOS would be your frontrunners to
play with.
Would you need a virtual keyboard?
That might make Android look better than ChromeOS.
But Chrome might have a plug-in.
I think it would be a significant project either way.
I keep threatening to play with developing some apps for Android.
They deliver a little Java development environment for Eclipse.
gets easy peasy and even better,
try rhomobile,
you can develop in ruby and it compiles a single code base,
for the five mayor phone OS with
Android, iphone, Symbian, BlackBerry, and! Microsoft!
Post by Aaron Birenboim
aaron
Sarang Gupta
2010-04-29 16:12:24 UTC
I prefer to think of it as a homage to my 11 Nov 2004 email to the list
entitled "Absorb NMLUG into NMOSUG".

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:22:08 -0600
Subject: Re: [NMLUG] absorb NMOSUG?